LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby dpizzle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Looks great, color lcds seem like a real possibility now. I've got an lcd and a simple array built for testing and am about to buy some resin.
Since you've had some success with what you're using can I ask which resin it is?

Barill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Barill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 am

this is a old makerjuice.
But, As you know, I think the most important is the good combination of UV led + LCD (light that can pass trough) + resin + exposure time

About your prototype, what is the LCD dot pixel size ?

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 am

Cool thanks, The LCD is pretty high resolution, 96 microns, hoping it will work out well.
I'll let you know how my tests go.

Barill

Postby Barill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 am

96 microns ? Yes, HD !

And the diagonale size ?

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am

The diagonal size is 9.7". I'm hoping it's small enough that I won't have to do crazy vat tilting stuff, but that's pretty far away if I ever get to that point.

Barill

Postby Barill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:49 am

it sounds great !

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I've been tinkering with using that same LCD, and had some very good results. I should have some exciting things to show everyone in a month or so. :D

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47 am

Barill

Postby Barill » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:30 pm

To read all these posts, I think we will see great things in a short time...
LCD based 3D printer is the future of 3D printing, Sure! ;)

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Ok, got the 10" 1920x1200 LCD in yesterday. Still waiting for the Ipad3 2048x1536 9.6" to come.

After tearing apart the LCD to remove the back light ive found a reflective film over the rear polarizer, possibly some sort of reflective polarizer. I cant see that helping much so Im gonna try to remove it tonight. I will also be removing the antiglare layers.

I did do a rough test with one of my LED arrays and lenses, I cured a 0.05mm layer in 3 seconds. Not bad, not as fast as my monochrome LCD but still, makes me think that color LCD is possible again as long as you have the LED power to overcome the color filter issues.

On that note, I looked at the LCD and print very closely under a microscope. I can see that when the LCD is displaying a white image, only the blue pixel is illuminated, the other two are black. This gives the print a gridded or screen door look. While the print was still solid, I could see squares under magnification. Not easy to see with the human eye though. I think the pixels are small enough, I hope the ipad3 lcd would be even better with its smaller pixels. This may be a good thing though, could help with part release as the surface is not totally even.

Im not ready to give up on monochrome LCD as I think that is still a good option, But I will begin building a smaller 10" LCD printer along side the 20". Im going to try to keep the 10" bottom up, but I think i'll need to go top down for the 20"

One day if this all works out I will try a 60" LCD.. lol
I'll post more results as I find them.