Cheap 1080p DLP projectors

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
James

Cheap 1080p DLP projectors

Postby James » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 am

Just the other day I stumbled upon a cheap way to get used 1080p DLP projectors. Check your local Craig's list for used DLP projection televisions. It appears that these are starting become abundantly available as people switch to LCD, LED and plasma televisions as they get tired of buying new lamps every few years. Even in my small town or Reno Nevada there is currently at least one 1080p for sell for $100. Most of these can act as an ordinary computer monitor through VGA, DVI or HDMI input. As a bonus these have a have a huge Fresnel lens and first surface mirror.

Problem is, THEY'RE HUGE! :lol: You need help loading them. They only weigh around 80 to 120 pounds, but they are usually too big and awkward to just pick up and carry for one person. And I doubt anyone would let you take a chainsaw to one to cut the projector out! :lol:

Here are some examples from around Los Angeles and Las Vegas for under $100:

These are a few in the $100 range but, I'll bet if one looked around hard enough you can even find these for free!
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cheap 1080p DLP projectors

Postby Finhead » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:58 am

Nice find, great source for front surface mirrors for sure. :)
Only issue I can see with the actual use of the projector is the bulbs in these are usually under 150watts, not sure that would be enough for most resins.
BTW found 2 in town just now with toasted color wheels 720p, for $20 for the pair. lol

James

Postby James » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, I can't wait to try one out! :D

Especially if I could find a free one! :lol:

As for UV, one could try converting to LED.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Ah yes could do that as well. :) I bought the 2 I found and the guy even delivered them so 2 first surface mirrors for $20 delivered regardless if I can use the rest or not. So happy with the purchase so far. lol I must say the bulbs are massive on these compared to projectors at least 3X the size.

James

Postby James » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Delivered??? Wow! Sounds like you found a really great deal! :)

It'll be interesting to see what you ultimately end up doing with them. But yeah, the mirrors alone are worth the $20! I just looked at one today, but it wasn't a DLP based machine so I passed on it. On the other hand, it occurred to me later that the cabinets contain a LOT of plastic. If the plastic could be made into usable FFF filament... Whoa! That would be amazing!

One other thing I thought of, though unrelated, lets say I picked one up for free, of any type. I already have a big plasma TV so there would be nowhere to put it inside, but what about outside? :lol: Like, have an outdoor theater in the the backyard for those nice summer evenings. Something like a barbecue cover could be used to keep it waterproof when not in use. :)