Converting Formlabs Form1+ to DIY

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
adbaco
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Converting Formlabs Form1+ to DIY

Postby adbaco » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 am

Hi,

I am a proud owner of a useless Formlabs Form1+ machine, one of the galvos just stopped working, and now I am facing a 800USD + shipping fee for the repair. The galvo replacement can only be done by Formlabs, as it is controlled by "their software".
This sucks, so I would prefer removing all the electronics and converting it to a DIY printer.

What is the recommended firmware for a SLA printer with 1 fixed laser and two galvanometers?

Thank you

wirelessguyny

Re: Converting Formlabs Form1+ to DIY

Postby wirelessguyny » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Stupid question but are you sure its one of the galvos? Is there no way to remove the component and either ship it back or get a replacement somehow?

adbaco

Postby adbaco » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi wirelessguyny, thanks for your help. Yes I'm sure it is the galvo, in fact I swapped the 2 galvo cables and the same galvo was not moving, consequently the data is reaching the two mirrors correctly. Formlabs does not sell galvos as spare parts, also the replacement of a new galvo requires tuning by a software that is only accessible by formlabs at formlabs for 800USD.

I am trying to discover what is the best open source slicer + firmware for a SLA LASER printer. The only reference i've found in the forum is:

CW + marlin + arduino + ramps 1.4 + lasershark

I don't know if this really makes sense, can somebody confirm or provide a further tested workflow?

Thanks

danielm

Postby danielm » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi,

we are developing connected controller for laser 3D printing together with cloud based slicer and user interface. The project is currently on hold for several months because we are developing another connected controller for 3rd party. However we are planning to resume development work in January.

Check "Latest news" section on the bottom of our page:
http://marsaltech.com/

Daniel

adbaco

Postby adbaco » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi daniel, this looks really promising, please keep us updated! When is the first release scheduled?

danielm

Postby danielm » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 am

I expect that the controller including FW could be ready in March-April 2017 time frame, however it will take some more time to develop the cloud part from experimental stage to production quality. Anyway basic features should be available from the beginning.

mypeo

Postby mypeo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 pm

@Daniefm,

very interesting. arm processor offers more processing power.

danielm

Postby danielm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 am

Yes, you are right, in comparison to ATmega and similar definitely much more power :)
It's currently designed around CC3200 from TI, which is Cortex M4@80MHz. I am considering to move the project to ESP32, which offers two cores up to 240MHz and more RAM. The idea is to embed simple Web-based UI and run webserver directly on the MCU.

badgerman

Postby badgerman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm in a similar situation in that I want to rip apart my Nobel 1.0 - not because it is broken, but because the software is sheeeeite. Seems like your work will suit my application.

I will eagerly await your development. . . .

FRC

Postby FRC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Could you use a 400 step per rev (0.9deg) coupled with a Duet Wifi with up to 256 microsteps instead of a Galvo? I know there is a lot of talk about how microsteps aren't as position accurate as one might hope, but it may merit some experimentation. Marlin or your other favorite flavor of fdm firmware should be able to run the scanner. Can replace some code with the appropriate tan function if you want to obviate the need for a ftheta lens