What causes the radial 'banding' on many high res resin prints

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What causes the radial 'banding' on many high res resin prints

Postby Newbie01 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

I have noticed with my top down printer and many others that there is a very subtle kind of banding that can be seen on larger high resolution prints. These look like the effect you would get from layering, but are usually on vertical surfaces, especially on round points.

They seem to occur on every high res print I have come across and at the moment it is the only thing preventing my prints from being what I would call layerless, but I don't know how to fix them. I was wondering whether this may be a software thing such as how an STL file is made, I'm not sure.

Can anyone offer some insight. I've included an example below. The banding is a bit hard to see on this one, but you get the idea.

tom-res

Re: What causes the radial 'banding' on many high res resin prints

Postby tom-res » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:59 am

Pixels from the projector you're using

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 pm

have you tried turning on anti-aliasing when slicing ? CW has this option. It helped me to improve surface smoothness.

Newbie01

Postby Newbie01 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:05 am

I have been using Gizmetor from Gizmo 3D. I believe it has the option to switch anti-aliasing on or off, but I don't understand why anti alisasing would cause these patterns.

Hughes when you turned it on, did you see it reduce the banding pattern, or just overall smoothness?

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:26 am

Newbie01

Postby Newbie01 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:08 am

Yeah it looks as if the object was actually printed on its side, with the round points being the layering. I'll see if I can find a better example. We are getting it on both our continuous and standard dip prints. I can only think it has something to do with the STL files because it seems it's not just our machines that do it.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:59 pm

For me, the solution to reduce this effect is to match the layer thickness with the pixel width.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Aminacoit

What causes the radial banding on many high res resin prints

Postby Aminacoit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 pm

What are the advantages of High Voltage servos for a club racer like myself?

Thanks,
Dennis
go!