Best methods to reduce sagging/distortion on planar surfaces?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scatterplot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Best methods to reduce sagging/distortion on planar surfaces?

Postby Scatterplot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a need to print brackets on a regular basis. By the nature of brackets, they tend to be made out of mostly planar surfaces. When printing the first of a plane using support material, the prints generally seem to sag or move somewhat until they can build up enough stiffness to support themselves. While the end result usually works well enough, that initial edge doesn't look very nice.

Here's a sample of what I mean (not my image, just found it on Google):

I know you can tilt a part to help with that, but does anyone have some pointers on how to make a planar surface like that print well? Does it need to be, say, 15 degrees off flat? 30 degrees? 45 degrees? More thinner supports? Fewer thicker supports? Interlinking the supports to add some "bracing" geometry to keep them from flexing?

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure this can be done, but I don't have the experience to nail it the first time every time. If it helps, I'm using a LittleRP (a bottom-up printer) with Makerjuice SF.