Effects of Resin on 2-Part Epoxy, will it melt?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cwmain
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Effects of Resin on 2-Part Epoxy, will it melt?

Postby cwmain » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Hola, I want to make a custom flexvat. I want to print the parts in PLA (because I read that resin won't damage PLA), and I want to coat the PLA with a 2-part resin, like XTC-3d Smooth on, or a generic kind, to make it watertight and so that liquid won't escape.

Will the resin melt or dissolve the epoxy? Or will it hold?
If anybody knows another way to coat and seal the 3d prints that would be great!

Thanks again to this board for the help.

----PS. While I have a thread open, how does PET or PETG holdup against resin?

nc42
Site Admin

Re: Effects of Resin on 2-Part Epoxy, will it melt?

Postby nc42 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:01 am

I made my vat out of carbon fiber/epoxy and it seems to be holding up fine

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, did you coat all of the parts with epoxy or just use it to glue them together?

nc42
Site Admin

Postby nc42 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:17 am

I molded dry carbon cloth in to the vat with epoxy so the entire surface is epoxy. That said all epoxies are different

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for your advice