Sylgard/QSil alternative? **WORKS**

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sylgard/QSil alternative? **WORKS**

Postby Finhead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Since I'm in Canada it seems almost impossible to find a source for either Sylgard 184 or QSil 216 at a reasonable cost with shipping usually being higher than the cost of the product. And the FEP sheets are even more expensive in the log run so I continued the quest.

Ran across this today as I was making a list to order molding/casting supplies. It seems to be about as cheap as the generic version of 184 plus shipping will be almost nothing rolled into my order. Anyone think there would be a reason not to try this out?

Clinton
Last edited by Finhead on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerospace

Re: Sylgard/QSil alternative?

Postby zerospace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Why not, it seems to have the same specifications, so I think it will work.

James

Postby James » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am

Hmmm... You might run into problems related to transmission depending on your photo-curable resin and your light source.

"Ultra-transparent Solaris® provides excellent UV resistance yet allows maximum transmission of light."

This statement means that it will block ultraviolet light.

On the other hand, if it didn't work, you could always find other uses for it around the shop.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08 pm

In this case UV resistance might mean that it doesn't break down/turn yellow when exposed to UV.

James

Postby James » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 am

True. True.
I wonder what they mean exactly? :)
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:45 pm

The way I read it, its worth a try, some time ago I used uv clear silicone for vacuum casting, it could be the same stuff, letting UV through, the silicone mould with photo resin inside, was put in a light box to cure, it was faster than the two part stuff and simpler.
The only way is to try it I'm afraid.
Random Precision

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey guys sorry about not posting back.
I bought some and received it on Friday but have not had time to finish my VAT or build plate yet, so haven't been able to try it. I will make sure and post back my findings.

Clinton

Finhead

Re: Sylgard/QSil alternative? **WORKS**

Postby Finhead » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Did a real quick test with the printer I'm putting together for a buddy.
Had a pieces of picture frame glass left over from my VAT build, 8X11cm. Mixed up enough Solaris for a 3mm coating and left it to cure over night then heated it to 100 deg for 45min to fully cure it. It is perfectly bubble free did not seem to change the color or clarity of the glass at all.
Tested with a Optoma HD65 1600 lumen projector with color wheel removed, it has 2800 hours on the bulb life is supposed to be 2000 so well past being bright at all. lol I did a mock print with CW for a 10 sec layer time and 2 layers, it worked perfect except the resin was moving so the 2 layers are separating. This was with red Fun To Do resin, the print slid off the plate which I'm sure will change once a real print is set up.
But it does indeed let the light through we need to cure and it seems to be much cheaper than Sylgard and approx on par with Qsil at $75 for a Lt kit or 2.1 pounds, for me being in Canada it's actually 30% cheaper if you factor in the shipping costs. The kit also comes with a primer so it forms a better bond to the glass but not sure that would be useful to this application or not.