Floating resin handling

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fridolin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Floating resin handling

Postby Fridolin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 am

Hello there.
Yesterday I did my first test print on a selfbuilt top-down floating resin machine. And I came to notice, that handling the resin can be quite a difficult task.
So to everyone with a floating resin setup: What do you do with the resin after you finnish a print?
Do you seperate it from your filler liquid? If yes how do you do this efficiently?
Or do you just leave it in the vat? If so how do you keep the pigment from forming a 3rd layer between resin and filler liquid?
Please also list your resin and filler liquid. In my case it's Makerjuice G+ (white) floating on glycerol.

redonix76

Re: Floating resin handling

Postby redonix76 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm also using glycerol. I just keep the resin floating on top and store it that way. When I had to remove the rein, I used a turkey baster to suck up as much as possible and what ever is left, I just blast it with my projector with a white screen. After a few seconds I can just remove the thing layer of cured resin easily and toss it out....maybe about $1 - $2 worth. after that, I strain the glycerin through a paint strainer and it's as good as new.

It's hard to not waste some resin with the float method. if you don't have to switch out resin color or brand, its best to just keep it in there. If the pigments starts to separate a bit, you could always gently stir it...I always stir my resin gently before every print to make sure I get consistent layers.

Fridolin

Postby Fridolin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 am

Good to hear. I've experimented with stiring the pigment back in a while ago but ended up stiring the resin into the glycerol. Gotta give it a try in large scale now, maybe it will work better.

Fridolin

Postby Fridolin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:54 am

I've done some more testing, but I can't realy get the pigment back into the resin without mixing most of it into the glycerol and when I leave it to seperate I get 3 layers again.

@redonix76:
What resin are you using? Maybe I can save me some time and trouble by just switching to whatever works for you.

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 pm

I've only used salt water and FuntoDo IB. (which has been my favorite so far, seems to hold pigment for a long time)

I've just accepted that its gonna be messy. My vat is a tupperware so I can cover it for storage.