Which spec printer to build?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richie4588
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Which spec printer to build?

Postby Richie4588 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:08 am

Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I’m looking to build a 3D printer (as I can’t afford to buy one).

I would rather build one from scratch but would consider buying a kit.

The part was originally designed to be machined but the cost per part is way too high.

I will only ever be printing the same part for small production runs (approx 6 per day).

The main things I am struggling with are,

1. What size bed to use?
The part is approx 150mm X 150mm X 30mm high.
It would be ideal to print more than one part each time but not essential.

2. Which resolution?
The part is going to be electroplated so needs to have the best finish possible straight off the printer.
The part doesn’t have any fine detail.

3. Which type?
DLP looks good for speed but the most important things are,
• Rigidity
• Strength
• Consistency
• Accuracy

Is it an option to use the CLIP (Continuous Liquid Interface Production) used on the Carbon 3D printer?

I was hoping that if I had the answers to these questions it would be possible to find (or purchase) a detailed part list and set of instructions?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Richard

!cid_5CEB0C2766EF43C99ECC42698897AD64@RichardPC.jpg

sodium

Re: Which spec printer to build?

Postby sodium » Sun May 17, 2015 11:21 am

this part will be functional, decorative, etc ...?

I mention this because the resistance of these resins is not comparable to the injected plastic, like ABS, etc ...

Richie4588

Postby Richie4588 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:56 am

Hi, the part is functional but I was hoping that having it electroplated would help?

So resin may not be the way forward then?

sodium

Postby sodium » Sun May 17, 2015 12:26 pm

i have a electroplating instalation of copper, niquel, silver, gold, and thicknesses with which they work not provide strength or rigidity to the piece, only a decorative treatment.

if this piece is part of a machine, or is subjet of tension forces, impacts, etc ... i dont think these resins are adecuate, in my short experience, funtodo industrial and castable.

i will be using my prints as masters, making vulcanized rubber molds to get final pieces.

anyway there is post about your question

Richie4588

Postby Richie4588 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Many thanks for the advice.