What is a FlexVAT?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
benleif430
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is a FlexVAT?

Postby benleif430 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi guys!

Totally new here, but I've been tasked with creating a 3d printer for an internship I'm currently a part of, and this forum has been really helpful so far. So far I'm definitely going with a DLP printer that projects from the bottom. I've learned so far that there are a few options for the resin vat: (1) carbon3d's expensive oxygen-permeable window, (2) using borosilicate glass coated with an anti-sticking coat that will need to be replaced often and (3) a FlexVAT. I've seen this term used all over the forum, and am not sure I completely understand what it is - I've seen though that it uses an FEP film. So since it's a film it can 'flex'? And the advantage is that it's easier to replace this film than it is to create a new layer of anti-sticking sylgard?

Just wondering If I have the right idea and if there's anything more I should know.

THANKS! :D