New DLP technique : The reverse flexi-vat for top-down :)

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
aurelm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New DLP technique : The reverse flexi-vat for top-down :)

Postby aurelm » Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 am

This was something I tried with good results to fix the bulging problem of top-down dlp printing that I kept getting for larger surfaces (especially when adding extra pigment and the thickness of the resin increases).
I had a couple of options :
1 - Go bottom-up : Too much work to do and I really like the way the projector can be easely removed from the printer. Too much work and design changes in the printer.
2 - Use a wiper (I will add a wiper eventually) This one is harder to design because the wiper has to be properly aligned with the resin surface and take into consideration the volume change.
3 : Something new. So I figured I could just take something from the flexi-vat design and adapt it to top-down. This way It can be used only when needed and I could afford the risk associated with a vat (sticking to it, deformation of the print).

This was the first quick test using a FEP foil + IKEA container sitting on top of the resin just enough to dip and hve surface contact.
First results were quite good with the only downsides being :
-Bubbles. But they don't seem to mess up the print as when the print resurfaces they are moved away.
-Very messy to work with :( This is imho the biggest downside. I am getting fed up with it.
-Beacuse of the pressure the foil tends to inflate upwards. I will try with an extra layer of Plexiglas to keep it straight.

The advatages :
-Less presure than on a normal VAT. Less risk of resin leaking from a cheap machine into a very expensive projector.
-Flexibility : It can be a printer that has multiple ways of printing case by case.
-Easier design of the 3d printer.
-The printer can be kept to a minimum size and just put th pojector on top when needed.
-No resin stirring because of outside vibrations .

reverse-FEP-VAT.jpg

Here it is in action :

SIDRANA

Re: New DLP technique : The reverse flexi-vat for top-down :

Postby SIDRANA » Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 am

Greetings;
This is an ideal approach; for the top-down system for small parts, which works great with the advance printing process.

Warm Regards

Saeed
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 7.56.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 7.30.30 AM.png

adambx

Postby adambx » Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 am

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Mon May 04, 2015 11:41 am

wait, you mean it's been done already ?
Ideas seem to be like good women. All are taken :)

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Mon May 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Hello Dear Aurelm;

Thanks for your post, I have been holding on the exposure of my device. There Is much more attached, to this rapid printing process, This is a Kinematic FEP film holder, positions it self simply by gravity. I am still working on to get-it Patented; Definitely I can use some paid help to patten my printing process.

Sincere Regards

Saeed
Last edited by SIDRANA on Mon May 04, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newraper1963

Postby newraper1963 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Let me see if I understand this process correctly. You position the normal build plate a certain distance from the surface of the resin in the vat. you lower the flex plate to the desired build height on the build. say 50 microns. you cure that layer with the projector and move on to the next layer with the flex flex plate up moving and down to the next layer. Is this correct?

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Mon May 04, 2015 1:42 pm

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Mon May 04, 2015 1:44 pm

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Mon May 04, 2015 4:42 pm