Interlacing for continuous printing?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
android78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Interlacing for continuous printing?

Postby android78 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:31 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using a sort of interlacing to allow for continuous (or close to) printing? My idea is that you would have the layer divided into lines that are maybe 1mm wide and alternate which lines to hide alternately so that it would allow separation of one layer (and create channels to replenish the resin) while the other is curing. I would think that combining this with a platform that is continuously vibrating by a small amount could achieve close to continuous printing.
I haven't had time to put together my SLA yet, but thought it would be interesting to try.

BenjaminF84

Re: Interlacing for continuous printing?

Postby BenjaminF84 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Android78, if my predictions are not far off, when such interlacing of printed lines are separated by the correct spacing relative to the viscosity of the resin, it might automatically fill the cavities in between, by means of capillarity. The cohesive forces could pull the resin up towards the build, with a little-bit of help from some ultrasonic or high frequency vibration. Sounds like a good idea to experiment with. Will let you know what I gather.

That, Or maybe tubular pockets, that act as a pipe to draw the uncured resin.
Attachments
Capillary action.jpg
Might just require to be open-ended pipes...
Capillary action.jpg (5.83 KiB) Viewed 16491 times

caffeine_addict

Re: Interlacing for continuous printing?

Postby caffeine_addict » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:29 pm

How did you go with your experiments? This idea sounds really interesting. I'm in the process of building my first printer, and I'm fascinated by the different solutions people come up with.