Casting directly in the 3D printed mould

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dlp_builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Casting directly in the 3D printed mould

Postby dlp_builder » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi all :P

I just saw this Instructable about casting metal directly in the printed mould!

http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Prin ... 73I1K3OJVR

FW1ONK1I1EU1ITY_MEDIUM.jpg
funtodo Industrial blend

They used the FunToDo industrial blend resin to print the mould and casted Pewter in it.
The Industrial Blend has been tested up to 225C.
The melting point of Pewter is around that temperature (230C) You can get Pewter with a lower melting point.
You might also print some cooling system on it...

This way you can print your own moulds for casting model ship fittings, or your own tin soldiers!

Danny
http://www.funtodo.net

seasicksinbad

Re: Casting directly in the 3D printed mould

Postby seasicksinbad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

It seems cool. But why sacrificing precious printer uptime and expensive resin when you can print the model directly and then make silicone molds.
I create my pewter molds using smooth-on's moldmax 30 silicone rubber. You can cast multiple times with minimal detail loss. And if you create a support shell using plaster of Paris, the cost of the mold is greatly reduced.
This way you preserve your printed model and can make as many molds as you want.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

PomeroyB

Re: Casting directly in the 3D printed mould

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I could see it being nice if you were pressed for time, and don't want to wait for the molds to cure. Print your object, heat your metal, and go!