PDMS vs TEFLON

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zerospace
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

PDMS vs TEFLON

Postby zerospace » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi guys, nice to be on the forum.
Wanna discuss the problem as we are all facing it.

I've tried both Sylgard 184 and FEP teflon.
Of course Sylgard dies really fast, that's a pain, and really hard to work with, but it has almost perfect non-sticking capabilities.
Recently I tried also FEP teflon adhesive from CS Hyde.
At first I was surprised that it will last much longer, but later I noticed that it has a very bad non-sticking capabilities comparing to PDMS.
So even small prints now require TILTING:( That's not cool at all.

I'm using MakerJuice resin.

Any ideas, advice please?
I'm pretty stuck with separation layer problem...
Teflon should be a great option, but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

hp_

Re: PDMS vs TEFLON

Postby hp_ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm

hi zerospace,

i'm using fep film for my printer, parts that i print are 2.7cm x 4.3cm, no tilt used.

The trick is using very slow detachment of the fep film,

Kind regards,
hp

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I am also finding that a slow release is required when printing on bare Gorilla Glass. I suspect that as the print area gets larger, time to release goes up also. Got some loud scarey noises before I reduced the speed! Also, how is your teflon attached? Adhesive, or stretched like a diaphragm?

zerospace

Postby zerospace » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi guys, 1st of all I'm e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y grateful for your responds, I hope this topic will clear things out to me :) finally!

Yes, I'm using 23-FEP-TEF Dupont Teflon w silicone (adhesive) from CSHYDE.
The sounds of detaching are awful, I will try decreasing the speed of my LIFT UP, thanks for the tip.
How about life of the teflon, any info on that guys, it should last much longer than Sylgard 184, correct?

Also sitzme, tell me please about Gorilla Glass, some more info, does it degrades over time?

Thanks again,
Waiting for your responds.

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:37 am

This thread in Hardware documents progress to date. GG is glass so I don't expect it to degrade so long as it is not abraded.

zerospace

Postby zerospace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 am

Last edited by zerospace on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 am

The reason the PDMS works well is that it is gas permiable and the resin won't cure in the presence of oxygen. A very thin layer of uncured resin exists so there is no mechanical bond. Teflon doesn't share this property but is pretty slippery stuff and is more durable. I pondered using the PDMS to bond a thin teflon sheet but have not tried it yet.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Research Chemist

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 pm

ptfeadhesive

Postby ptfeadhesive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 am

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me but i would love to be wrong.
Visit