Trying to get stuff together

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Helmi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Trying to get stuff together

Postby Helmi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi,

as i said in my introduction i'm completely new to SLA/DLP so i try to sum up a bit what i've read so far and partly combined myself and hope you can correct me if i'm wrong. I've placed some (???) in brackets on some lines where i'm quite unsure and count on your help here.

- With a DLP printer Resin get's cured by UV-Light emitted by a DLP projector using a standard beamer bulb or a replaced one (or pico projector with an UV-LED)
- curing happens in a "bath" of resin inside the so called Vat.

bottom up:

- the beamer/projector sits below the vat/resin, curing happens on the lowest level of the resin bath.
- (???) to avoid sticking to the vat the bottom of the Vat is covered by a PTFE-Type film or anything similar that allows UV-light to pass along but avoids the object to stick to the bottom
- (???) the print plate where the object sticks to (how?), gets moved up by a linear drive layer by layer
- to cover the room between the last cured layer and the bottom of the vat with resin as good as possible the resin needs to be "helped" to flow in this space (depending on layer height). This is normally done by tilting or moving the vat.
- the projector is either placed vertically (light goes up) on bigger printer builds or mounted horizontally with a mirror for a more compact printer build.

top down:

- not investigated deeply so far, think for me it's not the right method to start.

software+electronics:

- movement of Z-axis, tilt and similar stuff can happen via a arduino-based reprap-like-electronic (Ramps, Rumba, etc.) with a reprap type firmware (Repetier, Marlin, etc.)
- (???) The image for the projection and therefore curing happens through a computer where the projector is connected to. Therefore this computer needs to have a second monitor out
- The software (creation workshop) does slicing and printing so also coordinates imagery sent to the projector and movements of the axis or shutters in front of the lens.

general / challenges:

- finding the right projector to start with (good price-feature relation)
- getting the right PTFE-Film or anything like that
- finding a print platform

I don't worry too much about constructing everything from aluminum profiles later on as i already have stuff laying around and already collected some experiences with that.

With everything else i'm a complete noob and try to collect facts - hope you can help me :)

Thanks!
Frank /

AndersonTa

Re: Trying to get stuff together

Postby AndersonTa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 am

@AndersonHTa

Helmi

Re: Trying to get stuff together

Postby Helmi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:02 am

Thanks, Anderson, for your detailled explanation - that is highly valuable.

I'm glad i got the PTFE-Stuff right - took me a while to get behind that ;-) I will scan the market for clear PTFE films in germany/europe and see what i can get. I'll post suggestions here later on. The difficulty in general is that products in the US and EU kindly differ in names or availability. That also goes for projectors. Mostly ordering from the US is expensive and difficult (especially with chemical stuff as you have to find out if you're allowed to import it). Also shipping costs and import taxes are high.

The prices on beamers seem to be relatively equal from the US to germany given that in germany you need to add 19% VAT (value added tax). So the 1280x800px class enters at around 400€, the 1920x1080 at around 650€. Unfortunately the 1920x1200 seem to not sell big quantities so they're much pricier than the 1920x1080. Most of the are at or above 2500 lumens which should make it easy to find one. The Acer P1500 (to use your example) is wide at sale for 649€ at Amazon Germany and several Beamer shops.

Is there anything else besides lumen and resolution i should look for? Are there probably things like automatic-image-correction-stuff that could be negative for printing? Or any compatibility for macro lenses stuff?

Thanks again!
Frank /