lcd3dprinter

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Barill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

lcd3dprinter

Postby Barill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:45 am

Hi everybody

I tried to resume LCD based 3D printer technology on a single page.
You can find it here:
http://www.lcd3dprinter.com

Feel free to send me your corrections, suggestions ...
I also hope you will be tolerant for my english ;)

Thanks !

dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: lcd3dprinter

Postby dpizzle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 am

Cool! Great write up, you've summarized many posts from the forum. This will surely help anyone wanting to explore it.

I think you want to change LCD to DLP for this line:
The use of an LCD projector involves the regular changing of the light bulb.

Some things that may help:

- Ultimaker 2's 12.5 microns probably wouldn't be the same quality as a DLP printer with 12.5 microns because it's FFF? This might be confusing to people that just see the numbers.

- Maybe mention eink and oled wont pass light like an lcd so people don't waste time trying it.

- Explain how light in the near UV range will only pass through the blue sub pixel? Phife's recent conclusions after viewing resin and screen with a microscope were very interesting.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Excellent write up! I really hope this sparks peoples' new projects and ideas with LCD printers. I'm going to sticky this topic

Barill

Postby Barill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Thank you for your support ;)
@dpizzle, I made some modifications to reflect your relevant comments

I will soon create new pages about "Most advanced projects"
Crazy makers conducting LCD projects can email me with pictures and details so I dedicate one page per project : barillgom -at- gmail -dot- com

Phife

Postby Phife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Very nice Barill!

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

First of, I would not call the LED array a UV led array, really its a blue, or violet array, the LED's dont emit any UV light in the 400-420nm range. I would remove all mention of UV light when talking about LCD printers. No UV will pass through an LCD. UV starts at 400nm and below.

I might mention a top down setup for large size LCD's unless someone comes up with a more reliable bottom up release method. Once you get into the large size panels the van der waal forces are very large.

Also, mention that only the blue subpixel in a color LCD will allow the 400-420nm light though, the red and green completely block it, so you will lose 2/3 of the light through each color pixel vs grayscale.

Otherwise, very good job!

Barill

Postby Barill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Phife, I made modifications about "UV"

I don't understand how you can build a top down with LCD ? With a DLP I understand, but with a screen I don't understand as light is not "projected" ?

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:17 pm

"What really differentiates LCD printers from DLP printers is the fact that LCD technology enables the creation of a very large build plate."

The optics in a DLP system gives you a way to choose your build size. Not so much for LCD. Not to mention the UV problem. As far as 3D printing goes:

LCD=beating dead horse

Still - a lot of people seem to like to spend time thinking about beating a dead horse. To prove my hypothesis wrong point me towards a commercial LCD based 3d printer. Or maybe all those other guys that have been building 3d printers for decades just don't have any creative thinkers.

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Wow, very closed minded of you.. So just because no ones done it successfully must mean that it cannot be done?

Its just not the case, LCD printers will be coming soon. There were technical issues in the past, LCD resolution, Panel cost, color filter issues, LED and LCD technology just wasnt up to it until recently.

Also, I'm not sure where you think UV is a problem, I dont use UV LEDs for my light source, I use 405nm LED's and they passthrough the LCD with no issues at all. Everyone seems stuck thinking its just UV light that cures resin, it is not. Near UV works just as well. Actually I can cure resin faster with my LCD vs DLP.

And finally, You want to see a commercial LCD printer, then wait just a few more weeks for the Kast printer to come to kickstarter. While I would have liked it for it to be me who made the first LCD 3d printer available, I just didnt have the resources to do it quickly enough. I will be releasing my machine before the end of the year though. Ive been working on LCD 3d printers for over 2 years now. I can assure you they do work.

Heres a link to the Kast machine. http://3dprint.com/17489/kast-3d-printer-2/

Barill

Postby Barill » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:54 pm

You're so right Phife

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

When I say "show me a commercial machine using LCD's..." it does not count to include a non-shipping, unproven, 0 day company. Especially given that they have been talking about getting to Kickstarter since at least May. Has anybody noticed the average lag from Kickstarter to delivering a usable product? Form Labs had a great team, essentially unlimited capital and it has been an uphill battle for them.

When someone promises 5-12x faster printing than the other companies that combined have THOUSANDS of man years developing these products - well it strains credibility just a tad - strike #1.

Then you have a home page that has no actual photos of a real unit - just renders (rather poor quality renders at that) - that is strike #2.

And finally if you go to and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way down to the amazing "high resolution" section. You can see the statement "Even 3D printed optics are possible with Kast." - strike #3 - you are out.