Teaming With Projector Company?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
3dprint_com
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Teaming With Projector Company?

Postby 3dprint_com » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 am

I have the idea of starting a company to create DLP 3D Printers. I was wondering what your opinions are on if it is possible for manufacturers of projectors to mass produce a 3D printer specific projector at a fraction of the cost of normal projectors. I'm not an expert at all, but I would imagine there is so much uneeded equipment/parts in a DLP projector that is used for 3D Printing. Do you guys feel this is the case or not? If a company were to manufacture projectors specifically for 3D printing would they be cheaper or not?
Eddie

Liquid Garden

Re: Teaming With Projector Company?

Postby Liquid Garden » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am

What's your order quantity? :)

I've contacted many companies and even visited a couple and while I don't think it's impossible, you really need deep pockets if you want to get something of good quality.

EKB and Visitech do it and Envisiontec uses LG projectors. AAXA seems willing to try but their optics and DLP chip aren't really ideal for printing.

A lot of the famous brands like Dell, Acer, Benq and Infocus are made by a couple of the OEM giants. One I know of produces over a million DLP projectors a year so it comes down to MOQ. Their parent company employs 1.6 million workers to give you an idea of the size of these companies.

Also, you won't be able to get them at a fraction of the cost because most of the cost is in the core. Things like the case, remote and speakers don't add much to the cost.

hp_

Re: Teaming With Projector Company?

Postby hp_ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:33 pm

I share the experience as Liquid Garden..

there are a few diy projector builders in china that maybe interesting but i first have to see some results from them.

a very interesting approach would be using off the shelve projectors that already work.. for example acer P1500 in my case full HD for a very good price.
although i wish i could make use of a custom build dlp projecto with dedicated UV LED's i think its still to soon.

hopefully 1 year later they will start poping up.

Cheers,
hp