3D scans.

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
seasicksinbad

3D scans.

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Since I started building my printer I knew a good source of original virtual objects would be necessary for the completion of my project.
So I started experimenting with different methods for 3D scanning and virtualization.
I started with Agisoft Photoscan with good results but it takes forever. I have an 8 core, 32GB RAM computer with an amazing video card and still it took forever to complete an object.
Then I switched to structured light scanning using David Laser Scanner with a Logitech 9000 camera, good results but still not satisfactory.
Right now I am using a Flexscan3D setup and the results are amazing.
Here's some youtube videos in the order I made them.

I still need to work some of the nicks out, but so far I am very satisfied with Structured Light Scanning and Flexscan3D's software.
In the future I will be working with cameras with higher frame rate for capturing subjects in motion.
I'll keep you posted.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 3D scans.

Postby Finhead » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 pm

I might have a ton of questions on this if your open to helping. ;)
Right now I have a Sense scanner which works great for large objects. And I am a beta tester for the Matterform, which is less than impressive currently and I'm loosing hope in it.

Thus seems like a nice alternative. :)

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I've really been interested in obtaining a scanner and generating my own models as well. The Flexscan3d looks like it does a very nice job.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:07 pm

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:13 pm

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Finally, my fully assembled structured light 3D scanner.
Attachments
IMG_0178.JPG
Strustured Light 3D scanner.

adambx

Postby adambx » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:45 pm

do you have any scans you could show us?
Cheers :)

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:28 pm

So far the only scan I've been able to do with this configuration for lack of time is this one:

Hopefully I'll be able to run more scans this week.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm

spaceman

Postby spaceman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:10 pm

@seasicksinbad

Could you tell us where/how you got the Flexscan3d software? Any site I come upon also requires the purchase of that company's scanner. I just want the software like yourself.

TIA