Top down wins...

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
gmoneyphx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Top down wins...

Postby gmoneyphx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm

I hollow large parts out before I print them mainly to reduce warpage, but helps on saving resin also.

258cj7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby 258cj7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:43 pm

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

I boolean drain holes in using netfabb. Too hard to automate it would seem. Requires some thought in deciding where to place the holes.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:15 pm

I also create drain holes but make them after the slice image files are done.

I will open up 10 or 12 slice images and just draw in drain holes in Photoshop. I'll just determine at what level to make the holes and in Photoshop, black out or "cut" through an outer shell to create a hole.

This way, you don't mess with the part's geometry.

Jon

erenaud

Postby erenaud » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

darrin3d

Postby darrin3d » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I use 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" aluminum angle to support my build plate. I drilled 1/2" holes every 3/4" or so through both legs of the angle. I drew it up in cad to do some volume calculations and found the following... Over 8" of build height, the displacement of liquid by the arm lowering into the vat works out to just under .010", for the surface area I am working with. Factor this in with the material shrink and I'm calling it a wash. They pretty much cancel each other out. Since top-down requires zero lifting strength to separate the build from the vat, the flimsy little piece of aluminum is plenty strong for this purpose, and displaces almost nothing.